NonVtec is a forum for Honda B18a, B18b, F22, F23, H23, D15, D16 NonVtec Engines.

Welcome to the NonVtec.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, WIN PRIZES, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, click here to join our community today!

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: just bought a 99 LS 4 door
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:58 am 
Send private message  Profile

Hello potential new forum home!

I just bought a 99 LS 4 door in championship white and I love it.
It was originally an auto, but the previous owner swapped in a GSR 5 speed and an amber GSR cluster... looks and feels really solid.
141K miles on a B18B1 with nothing done to it except for a recent valve adjustment.

I does have ground control springs on koni yellows which ride really nice, except for the alignment. Brand new Falken tires and the inside tread is already worn down. Not happy about that... also the outer bushings on some aftermarket LCA's are worn and look like they're falling apart.

Another thing to note is that the tranny case is from an EM1... so it doesn't exactly line up with the B18 bottom end and is missing the lower tranny cover.

She cleans up really nice and is fun to drive, just needs some TLC unfortunately.

I'm hoping to drop some money on getting a decent i/h/e setup... so that would be my first question to you guys... I have about 600 to spend on that.
I understand that the stock piping size is 2"? I'd like to know if 2.5" or even just 2.25" would do?

Anyway, here she is...

Post subject: Re: just bought a 99 LS 4 door
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:19 am 
nonVTEC.com Member

Welcome to the site :super very very nice :love super clean "im in love"

Well iv always liked to run 2.5" myself I like the sound it makes over the 2.25" but on a basically stock car it really don't matter ether one flows much better than stock and if your not going to do much more than that id just get what ever one you can pick up cheapest so you can put more money in to the other stuff you wont but if your planing on doing more down the road like cams, intake manifold, so forth and so on id go with the 2.5" it flows more air so it will make the most power but like I said on a basically stock motor it really don't matter...

http://www.mightycarmods.com
http://www.nittolegends.com
http://hondaroots.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:01 am 

Thanks for the info!

Also maybe in the future, I might want to do a B18C type-r swap. Is that possible in a DB7?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:29 pm 
nonVTEC.com Member

Yup all 92-00 Civics and 94-00 Integras 2drs and 4drs all models USDM, JDM, EUDM, CDM are all basically built off the same chassis with small differences between them GSR and Type-R swaps are the most common swap in to any year Civic and Integra some people have even shoehorned them into gen1 and gen2 Civics thats one of the grate thangs about building a Honda is they have a very large aftermarket to do pretty much what ever you wont sins your car is a gen3 Integra a B18C swap should be a strate swap... But the nice thang about your car sins it already has the B18B1 is that you can do whats called a LS-Vtec swap and what thats is is ware you simply put a vtec head and parts on your non-vtec motor its a lot cheaper but takes more work and requires a good level of mechanical skill...

http://www.mightycarmods.com
http://www.nittolegends.com
http://hondaroots.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

If you are going with a custom exhaust setup get some mandrel bent pipes like these:
http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/se ... UST/Detail
yeah 2.5 inch diameter is fine. Stick with the flowmaster 60 series exhaust and you will get a nice throaty sound.

The intake is optimized and you are not going to get anymore air flow in there without a larger throttle body. However If you are looking to get one just stick with craigslist and get something that is a solid tube and not a piece kit.

Header? again stick with a good brand like skunk2 or mugen. again craigslist to stay within budget. Go for the 4-2-1 setup for max airflow. The cheaper fleabay ones, while they work they wont last. The welds suck and those things will be rusty within a month or two.

btw, your car will not get any faster it will just sound better and have better throttle response.

Is there anything else that the car might need, such as uca/lca bushings, tires, tuneup?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:05 pm 

Very Nice!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:11 pm 

civic97 wrote:
If you are going with a custom exhaust setup get some mandrel bent pipes like these:
http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/se ... UST/Detail
yeah 2.5 inch diameter is fine. Stick with the flowmaster 60 series exhaust and you will get a nice throaty sound.

The intake is optimized and you are not going to get anymore air flow in there without a larger throttle body. However If you are looking to get one just stick with craigslist and get something that is a solid tube and not a piece kit.

Header? again stick with a good brand like skunk2 or mugen. again craigslist to stay within budget. Go for the 4-2-1 setup for max airflow. The cheaper fleabay ones, while they work they wont last. The welds suck and those things will be rusty within a month or two.

btw, your car will not get any faster it will just sound better and have better throttle response.

Is there anything else that the car might need, such as uca/lca bushings, tires, tuneup?

Yeah, I've been reading that the B18B1 isn't the most efficient engine made... So I've been considering just doing a type-r B18 swap... depends on how much more white smoke I see when starting off... I am going to get a compression test and leakdown test done before I do anything crazy.

And yeah, the LCA bushings are pretty worn out... any suggestions on where to get a decent replacement kit? nrgy bushings? I have considered taking this car to an autocross event if I get it set the way I want.

The tires are okay. I just had the car aligned yesterday and it was totally out of wack. especially the toe. But that's all been fixed up an in spec so she rides a lot better now. There is an excessive amount of tranny noise though, I can't tell if it's because the lower tranny case cover is missing, or because I'm missing a boot where the shift rod enters the cabin....

thanks for all of the help so far!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:05 pm 

welcome to nv!

that 4-door looks good.

turbo it. :devil:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:53 am 
nonVTEC.com Member

welcome! love the teg!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:09 am 
Site Admin

I would stick with OEM Honda lca bushings, the aftermarket ones are really hard on the ride stiffen up the steering a little too much for my liking.
Get that tranny noise taken care of or at least find out why the noise is there. It could save you $$$ in the long run. If its the tranny case cover missing you dont want to get a rock kicked up in there and make it into a big problem.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:00 am 

thanks for the compliments!

I just bought a complete polyurethane bushing set because I do plan on taking her autoxing or something of the sort...

if you guys could let me know what this is, I'd greatly appreciate it. I have an autopage clicker for it that the owner gave me... but I can't get the damn thing to work...